- Yield: 28 pieces
- 1 1/2cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1cup skim milk
- 1-- egg
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1-- green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1-- (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3cup chopped green onions
- 2tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper slices (found in jar)
- 2cups combination seafood (crawfish tails; small peeled shrimp, cooked; or claw crabmeat)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan withnonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda and sugar.
- In another bowl, combine milk, egg and oil. Add remaining ingredients except seafood. Mix well. Stir into flour mixture. Gently stir in seafood.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: If you have left- over seafood from a crawfish boil, peel the shrimp and crawfish as the seasoned seafood turns this into an extraordinary cornbread—a meal in itself.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 87
- Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 27mg
- Sodium 130mg
- Carbohydrate 10g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 5g