Shiny Happy Poppers
- Yield: 12 servings
- 12-- jalapenos
- 1cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2tablespoons smooth or grainy vegan Dijon mustard
- 1teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 medium-sized clove garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- -- hot sauce of your choice, for drizzling
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Stem the jalapeños and cut one lengthwise slit in each pepper. Pull out the seeds and inner ribs with your fingers (wear rubber gloves if your skin is sensitive to handling hot peppers).
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the rice, black beans, mustard, garlic powder, and thyme. Stir until well mixed.
- With an appropriately sized spoon, fill the jalapeños with the rice mixture. Place the peppers on a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle the peppers with the olive oil and then with the hot sauce, to taste.
- Fold the foil into a packet with the peppers in one layer. Grill the packet for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the peppers are soft and the rice filling is hot. Serve at once.
Note: You can temper the spiciness of jalapeños—at least somewhat—by removing the seeds and especially the white inner ribs, before stuffing them with the beans and rice.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Grilling Vegan Style: 125 Fired-Up recipes to Turn Every Bite into a Backyard BBQ by John Schlimm, Da Capo Press, 2012