Shrimp, Peppers, and Cheese Grits
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
If you are not a grits fan, the shrimp may be served over rice and used for dinner. When reheating the grits, add more milk if too thick.
- 1-- green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 1/2cup chopped green onions (scallions)
- 2cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2cups skim milk
- 1cup quick grits
- 1cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the green pepper, tomatoes, and shrimp, cooking until the shrimp are done, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the green onions, cooking several more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, bring the chicken broth and milk to a boil. Stir in the grits. Return to a boil, cover, and reduce to low heat. Cook about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cheese. Serve the shrimp over the cheese grits.