Slow-Cooker Beef Barley Stew
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 8 hours
- 1tablespoon oil
- 1pound beef stew cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 1cup chopped onion
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 3cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup barley
- Peas and mushrooms, optional, to taste
- Heat olive oil in pan on stove. Once hot, add beef cubes and cook about 4 minutes on each side. Remove beef to plate with paper towel, then place in slow cooker.
- In same pan, add onion, carrots and garlic. cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, beef broth, barley, tomato paste, and thyme to slow cooker.
- Give the soup a good stir and place on low for about 6 -8 hours.
Recipe courtesy of Megan from SassyEats.com.