Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5cloves garlic, minced
- 1cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1cup yellow onion, diced
- 1cup tomato, chopped
- 1-- jalapeno, minced
- 3-- bay leaves
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoons sea salt
- 4cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- -- additional water to make soup less chunky, optional
- Place all ingredients, with the exception of the broth, into a 4 or 5 Quart slow cooker.
- Stir the ingredients together so that the herbs and spices are well mixed in, and then add the broth into the cooker.
- Set your slow cooker to high heat for 6 hours, or on low if you are going to be away for the day for longer than that. Add water to the soup if you would like a thinner consistency.
- Serve hot and garnish with some vegan sour cream or cheese shreds.
Jackie Sobon of the food blog Vegan Yack Attack, is passionate about creating innovative and tasty recipes that cater to the taste buds of everyone, vegan or not. On top of running her food blog, she also contributes to the Examiner, One Green Planet and the Vegan Voice. In her free time, you can find her dreaming up recipes while hiking, doing yoga, or cycling; talk about preemptive action!