Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 4 to 8 hours
Adding Herbs de Provence (dried herbs found in the spice section of most grocery stores) makes this dish smell as good as it tastes, exuding a “fresh from the farmer’s market” flavor. Plus, it’s easy to adapt the basic recipe to fit your favorite flavor profile using the variations below, including Mexican, Italian or Mediterranean.
- 4small (2 pounds) bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2teaspoons Herbs de Provence (or combination of dried thyme, fennel, basil and savory)
- 1teaspoon garlic salt
- -- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2cup flour
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4pounds small red potatoes
- 3/4cup frozen, thawed pearl onions
- 1cup baby carrots
- 3/4cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8ounces small baby bella or white mushrooms
- -- Chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- Combine the Herbs de Provence, garlic salt and pepper on a dinner plate. Spoon flour on to second dinner plate. Coat each chicken breast in the herb mixture; then dredge well in flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat until chicken is golden brown on both sides (approximately 3-4 minutes per side). Cook chicken in two batches if necessary so as not to crowd the pan.
- Place chicken in a large slow cooker and add remaining ingredients except fresh thyme. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Sprinkle with fresh thyme before serving, if desired.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 430
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 100mg
- Sodium 400mg
- Potassium 771mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 45g