Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1large onion, diced
- 2large red bell peppers, diced
- 2large stalks celery, diced
- 5cloves garlic, minced
- 12ounces frozen or fresh okra, sliced into discs
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 3-- bay leaves
- 12ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced into half moons
- 1 1/2cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3cups water
- -- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large slow cooker, add all ingredients. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 or until vegetables are mushy and stock is slightly thickened (it will still be thin).
- Serve over brown rice with cornbread on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Cassie Johnson who by day is a higher ed marketing expert, but after hours obsessed with all things health and wellness. Her recipes and articles have appeared on websites for major brands and in the pages of glossy food magazines. Find her daily fitness and food adventures (and misadventures) at Back to Her Roots.