Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1.25 lbs)
- 1/2cup honey
- 2tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 1/2tablespoons ketchup
- 1tablespoon safflower oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3cloves garlic, minced, pressed or grated
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1cup dry basmati rice
- 1teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1pound green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- Put chicken into crock pot.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Trim green beans. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a skillet until hot. Add green beans and saute 5-6 minutes or until cooked but tender.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Whisk cornstarch into liquid in the crock pot. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Shred chicken or cut into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce. Serve chicken over rice with green beans, garnish with sesame seeds.
Recipe courtesy of Nicole, a Registered Dietitian who believes in balance: love what you eat and be what you eat to live a long, healthy life. Her cooking style focuses on disease prevention in otherwise healthy people, emphasizing balance, moderation of all nutrients, and plentiful in what we know to be good. By day, Nicole is the Director of Nutrition Services at a Michigan hospital and by night, she is a home cook, wife, and healthy food blogger of Prevention RD.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 533
- Fat 6.8 g
- Sodium 465 mg
- Carbohydrate 87.8 g
- Fiber 4.8 g
- Protein 39 g