U.S. Apple Association
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3large onions, finely chopped (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
- -- sweet apples, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1cup apple juice (more if necessary)
- 1cup chicken broth
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat oil and butter in large saucepan; add onions and chili powder; cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add squash, apples, apple juice, chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
Cover and cook on low heat until apples and squash are very soft, about 30 minutes. Cool.
Puree with an immersion blender or a food processor; return to saucepan.
Add additional apple juice or broth, if needed.
Garnish with toasted pecans, sour cream swirls and thin apple slices, if desired. Makes about 7 cups.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 130
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 290mg
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 2g