Spiced Apple Pie Soup
- Yield: servings
- 1stick cinnamon
- 6-- cloves
- 6-- all-spice berries
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 5-- large Granny Smith apples, quartered, cored and sliced
- 5cups water
- 2/3cup raisins
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- 3-4tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1/2cup Greek-style yogurt or low-fat/fat-free sour cream
- Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the cinnamon, cloves, and allspice to a fine powder.
- Place the butter and apples in a 7-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours, until the apples are soft and the juice nice and browned. Mash any large pieces of apple, then add the water, spices, and raisins and continue cooking for 2 hours longer.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and honey.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the yogurt.
— From 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley / Andrews McMeel Publishing