Spiced Cranberry Beet Compote
- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 35 min
- 2large red beets
- 1tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2teaspoons Garam masala or curry powder
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2cups frozen or fresh cranberries
- 1/2cup golden raisins
- 1/2teaspoon orange zest
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup water
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add beets and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add oil to a frying pan and warm over medium heat. Add garam masala or curry powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add shallots and sauté until starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in beets, cranberries, raisins, orange zest, vinegar, sugar, salt and water. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries have popped and compote has thickened, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Gardein™.