Spiced Turkey Lettuce Wraps with Green Apple and Butter Lettuce
This is a fun recipe to set up a wraps bar and let everyone make their own portioning the different toppings as they like them!
- 3tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 8ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2/3cup shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 20ounces ground turkey
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon allspice
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon toasted and ground coriander
- 5cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine
- 1tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1head butter lettuce
- hoisin sauce, for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil over high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Get those mushrooms nice and brown, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the black pepper, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and coriander. Add the ground turkey, mixing together with a fork.
- Add another tablespoon of peanut oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the spiced turkey meat. Sauté until browned and cooked through. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the mushrooms back into the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, rice wine, and oyster sauce. Pour over the meat and mushroom mixture. Reduce the heat and let everything cook together for a minute or two. Take off heat.
- To assemble the wraps, brush hoisin sauce on a leaf, pile on the meat mixture, then add scallions and apple.
Bio: Recipe courtesy of Jenn and Seth. When she isn’t chasing around a toddler Jenn can be found obsessing over food. When not animating computer generated characters, or playing video games, Seth can be found obsessing over food. This joint passion has taken on a life of it’s own over the last few years so check out their blog Home Skillet for plenty of tasty recipes.