Spicy Vegan Mexican Wraps with Quinoa
- Yield: 3 servings
Try this simple, vegetarian and vegan friendly Mexican recipe.
- Mexican spice mix:
- 1teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon ground coriander
- black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 1.5tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3cloves garlic, crushed
- 2large bell peppers, diced
- 1-2 red chilies, seeds removed and diced
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4cup dry quinoa
- 6 organic mountain bread wraps
- 1cup shredded cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1teaspoon grapeseed or olive oil
- Add to medium saucepan oil, onion, garlic, bell and chili peppers along with the Mexican spice mix and saute covered, on low-medium heat, being careful not to burn, stirring occasionally until onion is transparent, around 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes and kidney beans, simmering on low-medium heat until thickened, for around 20-25 minutes, lid to the side to allow reduction of the sauce. Make sure you stir beans regularly. Add lime at the end and more seasoning if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa as per instructions on the packet.
- Cool the bean mixture for 5 minutes or so.
- Arrange the wraps on a flat surface or board. Divide the quinoa evenly between the wraps, then add the bean mixture, avocado and cheese to each. Fold one long end of each wrap then roll from the sides to enclose the filling.
- Spray large nonstick pan with oil or use 1 teaspoon of oil and turn to medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the wraps, sautéing until browned, then turning over carefully (usually around 1-2 minutes each side).
Bio: Recipe courtesy of Emma, a former registered nurse and free spirit living at heart living in Brisbane, Australia. She develops and adapts others’ healthy, simple recipes on her site A Splash of Vanilla while supporting local, Australian made and environmentally responsible products, companies and websites.