Spinach and Mushroom Panade
- Yield: 12 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 70 mins
The chewier the bread the better, so seek out a good artisan loaf.
- 10slices (1/2-inch) country-style sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2large yellow onions, chopped
- 1pound mushrooms, rinsed, stems trimmed and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4cup dry white wine
- 1tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- -- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1package (16-ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 1/2cups grated gruyère or Swiss cheese, divided
- 3 to 4cups homemade or canned reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Tear bread into 1-inch pieces and toast until lightly browned, stirring once, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a 12-inch sauté pan or skillet. When butter melts, add onions and cook 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add mushrooms, garlic, wine or broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until liquid evaporates and mushrooms shrink, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread in pan. Distribute half the onion mixture over bread and sprinkle on half the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Slowly pour 2 cups broth over top, allowing bread to soak up broth and pressing with the back of a spoon. Add remaining broth until it reaches 1 inch below the pan’s rim.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet to catch drips. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbling, puffed and deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Lynne Sampson Curry.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 260
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Sodium 680mg
- Potassium 380mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 13g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 90%
- Vitamin C 8%
- Calcium 20%
- Iron 15%