Stir-Fried Sesame Kale & Red Cabbage
- Yield: 6 servings
- 8 to 12ounces kale, any variety
- 1/2small head or 1/3 medium head red cabbage
- 1 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2teaspoons grated fresh or jarred ginger
- 1tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 to 2tablespoon sesame seeds (preferably unhulled)
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems. Stack a few leaves and cut them into narrow strips. If desired, slice the stems thinly to use in the stir-fry; otherwise discard.
- Cut the red cabbage into thin slices about 2 inches long.
- Heat the olive oil in a stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until golden and soft.
- Add the kale and cabbage. Turn the heat up to high and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until both are brightly colored and tender-crisp.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the dark sesame oil and the sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once.
Reprinted with permission from Wild About Greens © 2012 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photographs by Susan Voisin.