Strawberry-Cream Cheese French Toast in a New Light
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
Adapted from Paula’s original Strawberry-Cream Cheese French Toast recipe!
- Strawberry Syrup
- 3cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1/2teaspoon fresh lemon zest, divided
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- French Toast
- 2large eggs
- 1cup minus two tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1/4cup fat-free ricotta
- 2teaspoons granulated sugar
- 12slices reduced calorie wheat bread, crusts trimmed if desired
- 1cup strawberries, sliced
To prepare syrup (may be done up to 3 days ahead; store in refrigerator)
- In medium saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest, and the juice.
- Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until strawberries are soft and the syrup is thickened and reduced by 1/3 in volume, 12 – 15 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool to room temperature before serving. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
- Cooks’ Note: If a thinner syrup is desired, strain the hot syrup through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container and let cool.
To prepare the French toast
- In a medium shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, gently combine cream cheese, ricotta, sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, just until blended. Spread on 6 bread slices and top with the sliced strawberries. Top with the remaining 6 bread slices and press around the edges to seal.
- Melt butter in the oil on a griddle over medium heat. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side, draining off the excess. Place in the skillet and cook until golden brown, 2 – 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with the strawberry syrup.
- Test Kitchen Tip: No time to make the syrup? Serve the sandwiches with pure maple syrup or a light sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar instead.
Reprinted with permission by Diabetes in a New Light®, a registered trademark of Novo Nordisk A/S.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 300
- Fat 12 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 90 mg
- Sodium 310 mg
- Carbohydrate 39 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Protein 13 g