Made with just four ingredients, this simple summertime drink is a great way to use some of those fresh-picked strawberries!
- 2pounds fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 6tablespoons sugar
- 1cup water
- 1/2teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Toss sliced strawberries and sugar in a large bowl, stirring until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring every so often.
- Combine strawberries, their liquid, water and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Press the mixture through a strainer to remove any seeds.
- Pour mixture into a flat plastic 2 quart container and place in the freezer. In about 1 hour the mixture will begin to freeze around the edges, use a fork to break apart frozen parts near the edge into smaller chunks and push them to the center.
- Return mixture to the freezer, then check every 30 minutes to stir and break apart frozen pieces. Do this until mixture is completely frozen and you have fine crystals of homemade granita.
- If at any time the mixture freezes too hard, simply leave out at room temperature for a few minutes until it softens enough to be stirred again with a fork and rake back into crystals.
Nicole is the girl behind The Marvelous Misadventures of a Foodie, a blog that combines her passion for food, writing, running, taking pictures, and travel. She has always loved being in the kitchen and everything about food – so she began writing the blog as way to share her favorite recipes and little bit of her life’s musings and happenings.