- Yield: servings
- 16ounces fresh strawberries
- 1-2teaspoons honey (optional)
- 2cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 3tablespoons cold grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 2large eggs
- 2tablespoons honey
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash, hull, and slice the strawberries as small as you desire.
- Mix in a bowl together with honey, if desired, to somewhat macerate the strawberries.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Line a sheet pan with some parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Using a fork or knife, cut the butter into the almond flour to form and mix, so that you’ve formed some small beads of the butter in the dough.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Using a spoon or measuring cup, drop the dough onto the sheet pan into 8 evenly sized cakes, leaving room in between each cake.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow cakes to cool, then slice horizontally, and spoon some of the strawberry mixture into the middle, and some extra on the side.
Variation—You know what I’m going to say. If you are allowing dairy into your life, whip up some fresh cream and serve it on these. You won’t be disappointed!
Tips & Tricks—When storing strawberries, moisture is the enemy. Don’t wash strawberries until you are ready to eat them.
Reprinted with permission from Paleo Comfort Foods by Charles and Julie Mayfield.