Stuffed Red Peppers with Couscous and Green Beans
- Yield: 4 servings
Use a creamy goat or sheep’s milk feta for a more piquant flavor. Tomato sauce, either homemade or store-bought, is the perfect accompaniment to the peppers. Spoon it over the top or serve separately, letting everyone take as much or as little as they like.
- 4-- red bell peppers, about 7 ounces each
- 1/2cup couscous
- 3/4cup boiling water
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1cup green beans in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2cup diced red onion
- 1/2cup (2-ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2/3cup (about) tomato sauce, (homemade or bought), heated
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and fibrous portions. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add peppers, cover and cook 4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Remove with tongs and drain upside-down on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place couscous in a large bowl; add boiling water, cover and let stand 10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add beans and onion; cook, mixing occasionally, 8 minutes or until beans are browned in spots and tender. Combine couscous, bean mixture, feta, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into peppers (about 3/4 cup per pepper). Transfer to a greased shallow baking dish and bake 20 minutes or until tops are lightly toasted. Serve with tomato sauce.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 228
- Fat 8g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 17mg
- Sodium 679mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 9g
- Protein 8g