Stuffed Zucchini with Red Beans, Rice and Chunky Salsa
- Yield: 3 servings
Pinches of kosher salt sprinkled on the zucchini before it’s filled make all the difference in the taste.
- Chunky Salsa:
- 2/3cup jarred salsa
- 1/3cup diced jicama
- 3medium (1 1/2 pounds total) zucchini
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2cup diced onion
- 1cup cooked brown rice
- 1cup canned small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4teaspoon chili powder
- /4teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 3/4teaspoon plus pinches kosher salt
- 3tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
- To prepare chunky salsa, combine salsa and jicama in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare zucchini, trim ends and cut squash lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp with a spoon leaving a 1/4-inch thick shell. Fill a large skillet with 1/2-inch water; add squash, cut sides up. Working in batches, cover skillet and bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently blanch 5 minutes or until barely tender. Remove squash from pan, drain well and blot with paper towels. Transfer to a greased shallow baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add green pepper and onion; cook, mixing occasionally, 7 minutes or until tender. Remove pan from heat; add rice, beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin and 3/4 teaspoon salt; mix to combine.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt into each zucchini shell and fill with rice mixture (about 1/3 cup per squash), packing lightly; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve with Chunky Salsa.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 288
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 1309mg
- Carbohydrate 43g
- Fiber 10g
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 12g