Summer Squash and Corn Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
It's important that you brown the zucchini first, remove it from the pan and then caramelize the onions. If you don't take time for this step you change the taste completely.
- 4teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3medium zucchini, washed well, sliced thinly
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1-- red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1-- Anaheim or poblano chili, chopped
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-- ears corn, kernels cut from the cob
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1large Spanish or Vidalia onion, chopped
- -- Water, optional
- 1pound firm tofu, sliced thinly across the short side
- 2cups shredded low-fat Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1/4cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil over high heat in a large nonstick skillet and saute zucchini until lightly browned. Add garlic, red peppers, chilies, oregano and fresh corn; continue to saute 1 minute until softened. Season with salt and pepper, remove from pan to a bowl and set aside.
- To same pan add remaining oil and heat over high heat. Add onions and cook until well caramelized. Do not stir right away to give them chance to brown. Add a little water to pan if they begin to stick. Continue to cook until browned; add to sauteed zucchini mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with half the tofu slices. Spoon half the zucchini mixture over tofu. Sprinkle with half the shredded cheese. Cover with remaining tofu slices. Top with remaining zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes until bubbly and heated through.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 189
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 246mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 17g