Summer Veggie Burritos with Goat Cheese
- Yield: 8 servings
- 8-- (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2cup chopped red onion
- 1cup chopped zucchini
- 2 1/2cups cooked quinoa
- 1cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1/2cup chopped roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 2cups lightly packed slivered romaine or other lettuce
- 4ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 2cups spicy store-bought salsa
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Stack tortillas, wrap tightly in aluminum foil and warm in the oven about 10 minutes. (Warming the tortillas makes them more pliable for rolling.) Cut 8 additional pieces of foil, 12-inches square, for wrapping burritos.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring over medium-low heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, stirring, until thoroughly heated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add quinoa, corn, peppers, cilantro and salt, stirring to combine.
- Place a warm tortilla in the center of each square of foil. Place about 1/2 cup quinoa mixture in the center of each tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup lettuce, 2 tablespoons goat cheese, and a rounded tablespoon of salsa, including some of the juice.
- Fold in the two sides of the tortilla until edges are almost touching in the center. Then roll the tortilla from the bottom of the circle, enclosing the filling to make a roll about 5 inches long and 2 1/2 inches thick. Wrap tightly in foil. Serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve. The burritos will keep 1 day, although they are best eaten soon after filling.
- Serve with remaining salsa.
Recipes from FRESH & FAST VEGETARIAN: Recipes That Make A Meal by Marie Simmons. Copyright © 2011 by Marie Simmons. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.