Sweet Onion Casserole
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 35 minutes
- cooking spray or oil mister
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4cups chopped Vidalia, Walla-Walla or other sweet onion (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2cup brown rice, cooked according to package
- 1/3cup 2% reduced fat milk
- 1/2cup shredded smoked Swiss cheese
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8teaspoon allspice
- 1/3cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer to large bowl.
- Stir rice and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) into onions. Spoon onion mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and broil for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese begins to brown. Top with parsley.
Note: If you can’t find smoked Swiss cheese, any kind of smoked cheese will do.
Recipe courtesy of Kiersten, a vegetarian since the age of 12, who blogs on her site Oh My Veggies about easy meatless recipes made with fresh, seasonal ingredients. She lives just outside of Raleigh, North Carolina and enjoys gardening and photography when she’s not in the kitchen.