Sweet Potato Casserole with Meringue Topping
- Yield: servings
- 3 1/2pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1 inch chunks
- 1/3cup honey
- 1large egg
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1large egg white
- 1/4teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4cup superfine sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
2. Place sweet potatoes in a large steamer basket fitted over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer sweet potatoes to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add honey, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whip using an electric mixer. Spread sweet potato mixture into the prepared dish.
3. In a small bowl, using the electric mixer, beat together the egg white and cream of tartar until foamy. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for about 10 seconds between each addition. Then continue to whip until stiff peaks are formed and the mixture is glossy and smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a pastry bag or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off, pipe 1-inch dollops on top of the casserole. Bake until the meringue is browned on top and the casserole is warmed through, 40 to 45 minutes. Serves 8
Per Serving (3/4 cup): 150 calories, 1g fat, 3g prot., 36g carb, 3g fiber, 25mg chol., 190mg sodium.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permission from Comfort Food Fixby Ellie Krieger (Wiley Hardcover, $29.99.)