Tart Chicken Stew with Olive and Tomatoes
- Yield: servings
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 5cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1tablespoon toasted cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillis, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3pounds organic chicken, cut up
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 2tablespoons Cabernet Red Wine Vinegar
- 5 tomatoes cored, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2cup black olives
- chopped parsley
Heat the oil over moderate heat and add the ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, pepper, chillies and onion. Gently fry, without browning, until the onion is soft.
Add the chicken, turn the heat up and fry everything until, the chicken starts to brown. Add the sugar, vinegar, tomatoes and olives.
Bring to the boil and simmer 20 minutes until the sauce is thick and the chicken is cooked. Serve with a sprinkling of parsley.
Serve rice, plain potatoes or crusty bread as a side dish