- Yield: 6 servings
For burritos, serve with cilantro, diced onion, cheese and sour cream
- 8ounces tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1-- onion, sliced thinly
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2cups water or stock
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2teaspoon cumin
- 1teaspoon salt
- 3tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1-- (15-ounce) can cooked black soy beans, drained
- 6-- (10-inch) tortillas
- Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add the tempeh, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain in a colander; pat dry.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add tempeh, sauté 5 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve. Add onions and remaining olive oil to pan, sauté until onions are lightly browned. Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add chili powder; cook 2 minutes. Add water or stock, reserved tempeh, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. Spoon filling into tortillas, wrap, and serve.
Recipe by Chef Chris Koetke.