‘The Five Cs’ Soup
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Cucumber, coconut milk, cilantro, cashews and curry! A bowl of this chilled, spicy and refreshing soup will instantly transport you to an Indian paradise. On a hot summer’s day, what more could you wish for?
- For the soup
- 3medium cucumbers
- 1medium zucchini
- 1large avocado, pitted
- 1teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2teaspoon curry paste or curry powder
- a few pinches of chili powder, plus extra to dust
- 2 cups warm water
- For the pesto
- 4tablespoons cashew nuts, chopped
- 4tablespoons olive oil
- handful of fresh cilantro
- For the soup, peel, seed and chop the cucumbers. Peel and chop the zucchini and avocado.
- Put the chopped vegetables, lemon juice, coconut milk, curry paste or powder, chilli powder, a pinch of salt and 1 cup of the water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then slowly add more water until you reach the desired consistency. Add more salt, if needed, stir well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the pesto, put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until you get a thick paste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a tablespoon of the pesto. Dust extra chilli powder on top.
- You can make a less exotic version of this soup by using almond milk instead of coconut milk, omitting the curry paste and making the pesto with fresh parsley or basil.
Raw Food Kitchen
by Dunja Gulin
Ryland Peters and Small, $24.95; www.rylandpeters.com
Photo credit: Photography by Kate Whitaker