Three Bean Veggie Chili
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2medium zucchini, chopped
- 1cup diced yellow onion
- 1 each green and red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2-3cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2tablespoons chili powder
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2cans (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1can (16-ounce) vegetarian black beans, undrained
- 1can (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1can (15-ounce) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional Toppings
- Light sour cream
- Sliced black onions
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini, onion, bell peppers, garlic, and jalapeno pepper and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. A
- dd the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and stir to coat. Cook 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, baked beans, black beans, and white beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with the cilantro and desired toppings.
Robin’s Note: This chili is thick and rich thanks to the crushed tomatoes. For a thinner version, replace 1 can of tomatoes with 3 cups of vegetable broth.