Tortilla Chip Casserole
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1tablespoon minced garlic
- 2tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 4ounces baked tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 8ounces lower-sodium green chile enchilada sauce
- 2.5ounces shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend (about 2/3 cup)
- 2tablespoons chopped green onions
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 6 minutes. Add the garlic and flour and cook for another 2 minutes. Gradually, add the milk and stock, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and cream cheese.
- Spread 1/2 cup milk mixture over bottom of a broiler-safe 11 x 7″ baking dish. Layer beans, 1 1/2 cups chicken, and 2 ounces of tortilla chips. Top with 1/2 cup milk mixture. Layer 1 1/2 cups chicken, bell pepper, and 2 ounces of chips. Top with 1 cup milk mixture and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.
Recipe courtesy of Maeghan Lovejoy, author of The Way to His Heart where both simple, delicious weeknight and entertaining recipes can be found. She doesn’t distinguish recipes as “fancy” and others “comfort” because all good food is comforting, point blank. Cooking from scratch, using local, organic, and sustainable ingredients is what is most important to Maeghan and she makes that the mission of her cooking as much as possible.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 379
- Fat 14.6g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 686mg
- Carbohydrate 34.2g
- Fiber 4.7g
- Protein 28.5g
- Calcium 215mg
- Iron 1.9mg