Turkey, Red Pepper, Arugula, and Hominy Soup
- Yield: servings
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4cup chopped yellow onions
- 1large red bell pepper, diced
- 1teaspoon salt
- 8cups chicken or turkey stock
- 1bunch arugula, well washed and leaves chopped
- 2-15 ozcans hominy, drained
- 12ounces shredded cooked roast turkey
1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot and cook the onions until they are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the diced red peppers and cook until they soften, about 5 to 7 more minutes. Add the salt and stir.
2. Add the stock and bring the soup to a boil.
3. Add the chopped arugula and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes or until the arugula is completely wilted.
4. Stir in the hominy and shredded turkey. Remove the soup from the heat and serve it immediately.
5. Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days. Alternately, store the completely cooled soup in airtight containers, frozen, for up to 3 months.
Reprinted with permission from The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook by Elizabeth Gordon, Lyons Press.