Turkey Wild Rice Casserole
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2cups wild rice mix
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1medium onion, finely diced
- 8ounces button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch celery seed
- 2cups all-natural chicken broth
- 1/2cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2cups chopped cooked turkey
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside. It will make about 6 cooked cups.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the vegetables are tender, 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 additional minute.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, flour, thyme, and celery seed and cook for 1 minute. Whisk the broth and milk slowly into the flour mixture. Raise the heat and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer and stir gently until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese until melted. Stir in the turkey and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the rice until well combined. Transfer to a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish. Top evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and the casserole is a bit bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Liz Weiss, MS, RD and Janice Bissex, MS, RD, AKA The Meal Makeover Moms, who are on a mission to help busy families eat better. They are authors of No Whine with Dinner, hosts of the weekly radio podcast, Cooking with the Moms, and they write the healthy family food blog, Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Sodium 330mg
- Carbohydrate 44g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 24g
- Vitamin A 80%
- Calcium 20%
- Iron 10%