Vegan “Creamed” Kale
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2large bunches of kale, de-stemmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2cups full-fat canned coconut milk
- 3/4cup raw cashews, covered in water and simmered for 30 minutes, then drained
- 1/4cup nutritional yeast
- 2tablespoons white miso
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2tablespoon coconut oil
- Put the chopped kale in a mixing bowl with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Rub the kale between your hands for a few minutes, massaging the leaves until they have a silky texture. Set aside.
- Heat the broth in a small pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the seasoned broth to a blender or food processor. Add the coconut milk, cashews, nutritional yeast, miso, and nutmeg and puree until smooth.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the coconut oil and sauté the kale until fully cooked. Add the coconut milk mixture and reduce until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately. The final product should be loose but not soupy.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Eat Drink Shine © 2016 by The Blissful Sisters: Jennifer, Jessica, and Jill Emich, Kyle Books