Vegan Peaches-and-Cream Cupcakes with Peach Butter Whip Frosting
- Yield: 12 servings
This vegan summertime treat will quickly become a family favorite!
- Vegan French Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1cup soymilk
- 1tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4cup sugar
- 2tablespoons soymilk
- 1 1/4cups white whole wheat flour (if you want them to be more delicate, use unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup canola oil
- 1 vanilla bean, split, and seeds scraped out with the sharp tip of a knife
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4teaspoon almond extract
- Dried Peach Filling (recipe follows)
- Vegan Peach Butter Whip Frosting (recipe follows)
- Optional Garnishes: a tiny slice of fresh peach and a mint leaf, a dot of Vegan Chantilly Whipped Cream and a lemon verbena or mint leaf, etc.
- Dried Peach Filling
- 1 3/4cups dried peaches or peach pieces
- 1 1/2cups water
- 1/4cup natural sugar
- 2tablespoons agave nectar or light corn syrup
- Vegan Peach Butter Whip Frosting
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- 1pound powdered sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4cup cashew Chantilly Whipped
- 4tablespoons peach filling
- Vegan Chantilly Whipped Cream
- 2cups raw cashews, divided
- 1 1/4- 1 1/2cups water, divided
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4cup + 2 tablespoons natural sugar or, for a lighter color, granulated or powdered sugar
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup of soymilk with vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a regular-size 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high, stir sugar for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to look moist. Add the 2 tablespoons of soymilk and cook, stirring constantly, until creamy, heated through, and slightly more golden in color, about 2 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
- Add oil, vanilla bean seeds, and both extracts to the curdled soymilk and pour into the well.
- Whisk wet and dry ingredients together just until well-combined and no lumps remain.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake papers; they should be about 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove cupcake tin to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Then remove cupcakes from the tin and allow them to cool completely on the wire rack.
- When cupcakes are cool, top each with about 1/12 of the filling and frost with 1/12 of the frosting. I like to pipe it on in a spiral using a large star tip. Garnish as desired.
- If not serving immediately, or if there are leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftovers? What leftovers?
For the peach filling:
- Combine peaches and water in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand 30 minutes or until peaches are soft.
- Add sugar and nectar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated (not all of the liquid or it will be too stiff).
- Remove from the heat and process the mixture until smooth. Cool.
Vegan Chantilly Whipped “Cream”
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup raw cashews and water. Cover, and let sit for 8 hours or over night. (I like to begin the soaking process in the morning so that I can make the Cream in the evening and let it chill overnight before using.) Rinse and drain well.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine soaked cashews, cashews, 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla.
- Process until very smooth, thick and creamy. Chill. Reserve remaining Chantilly Whipped Cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for another purpose.
Recipe courtesy of: A vegan blogger with a healthy sweet tooth (www.TheBloomingPlatter.com), teacher and freelance writer, Betsy DiJulio wrote The Blooming Platter Cookbook: A Harvest of Seasonal Vegan Recipes (Vegan Heritage Press, 2011). When she isn’t cooking, teaching high school art, or walking her dogs, Betsy can be found in downward dog on her yoga mat.