Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- 2teaspoons flax meal (golden preferred)
- 1/2cup unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice
- 2cups buttercup squash puree
- 1/2cup prepared Irish moss
- 1cup maple syrup
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Have pie crust prepared in pie plate.
- In large mixing bowl whisk together flax meal and milk until frothy and let sit while you gather and assemble other ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the flax-milk mixture and whisk everything until thoroughly incorporated. Mixture should be smooth, thick and stick to the spatula. If mixture is too thick (is not easy to whisk) add a tablespoon at a time of each the milk and Irish moss, whisking in until the right consistency is reached.
- Pour filling into prepared crust, smooth with spatula and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool completely to room temperature before attempting to cut into the pie. The pie needs time to set up and become firm enough to slice. It is best left overnight in the fridge to set up and eaten the following day.
Recipe courtesy of Kaity from Fare Isle. Kaity is a health food blogger from Nantucket.