Vegan Sauteed Slivered Brussels Sprouts Over Wild Rice Cakes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound Brussels sprouts, bottoms and outer 500g leaves trimmed
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2-- onions, thinly sliced
- 3cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/4teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2cup firm or extra-firm silken tofu
- 2cups cooked mixed wild and brown rice
- 2tablespoons chopped chives
- 1tablespoon chopped basil
- 1tablespoon minced Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3cup fresh bread crumbs
- -- canola oil
- 2tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
Preheat oven to 200 F
1. Finely slice sprouts about 1⁄16-inch thick. Separate slices into shreds and set aside.
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and let pan get hot. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and tip pan to coat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, 3⁄4 tsp of the salt and mustard and cook, stirring often, until onions are golden and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
3. In a blender, purée tofu until smooth. In a bowl, gently fold together puréed tofu and rice. Mix in chives, basil, parsley, black pepper and remaining 1⁄2 tsp of salt. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl and, using a tablespoon, drop rice mixture into bread crumbs, patting gently to form a cake. Press additional crumbs on top and use a small spatula to transfer cake to a plate lined with waxed paper. Repeat with remaining rice mixture.
Excerpted from 350 Best Vegan Recipes by Deb Roussou © 2012 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.