Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Soft and tender goodness topped off with a dab of homemade jam, from blogger Kelly Egan.
- 2cups whole almonds
- 4cups quick-cooking or old fashioned oats
- 1/4teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 1cup canola oil
- 1cup maple syrup
- Jam of your choice
- Process the almonds in a food processor until they are slightly more coarse than almond flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Process the oats and salt in the food processor (no need to clean the bowl) until they form a meal.
- Mix the almonds, oats and flour together.
- Add the canola oil and maple syrup.
- Let the dough sit for 15 minutes to harden. Form them into whole walnut-shaped balls and place onto a cookie sheet. Make an indentation in the top of each cookie and fill with a dollop of jam. You can also add a slivered or whole almond.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the edges brown slightly. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe courtesy of Kelly Egan, a fourth-year medical student in Madison, Wis. This year, she plans to volunteer in India, graduate from school, get married, honeymoon in Morocco, move across the country and get her first job – in that order. To follow her adventures, please visit asideofsweet.com.