Very Vegetable Soup
- Yield: 5 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
If you have access to some ripe yellow or orange tomatoes, it will look especially beautiful. The vegetables are quite flexible, so if you can't get your hands on the ones listed below, just substitute something similar.
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1medium onion, minced
- 1medium stalk celery, minced
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1large carrot, diced
- 10large mushrooms (white or cremini), minced or sliced
- -- A handful or two fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 1teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram (or 1 tablespoon fresh, if available)
- 6cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 to 3stalks ruby chard, chopped (include stems, but keep them separate)
- 2small (6-inch) zucchini, diced or sliced
- 1/2cup (packed) minced fresh basil leaves
- 1-- (15-ounce) can navy or pea beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- -- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- -- Lemon wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms, green beans, garlic, oregano or marjoram, and another 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté for a few minutes more, then cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the chard stalks, and sauté for a minute or two. Add the broth, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chard leaves, zucchini, basil, and beans, and add black pepper to taste. Cover the pot, remove from heat, and let the soup sit for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot, accompanied by lemon wedges and Walnut-Parmesan Crisps. Encourage your guests to squeeze some lemon juice into each serving.
Note: This soup keeps for several days and reheats very well, as long as you don't boil or otherwise overcook it. It also freezes well if stored in a tightly lidded container.
Recipe courtesy of Mollie Katzen.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 240
- Glycemic Load .46
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1150mg
- Potassium 1320mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 11g
- Sugars 11g
- Protein 13g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 110%
- Vitamin C 50%
- Calcium 15%
- Iron 25%