Walnutty Egg and Bell Pepper Gratin
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
The pepper mixture can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator but remember to warm it through before adding the egg or you’ll need to extend the cooking time. If you can’t find good tomatoes you can add a tablespoon of tomato paste or use substitute 15-ounce can of whole tomatoes in juice.
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1-- onion, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1pinch red chili flakes
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-- red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1-- yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2-- small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6-- tomatoes (about 1 pound), chopped
- 1/2cup packed basil leaves
- 8 to 12-- thin asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4large eggs
- 1cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange 4 shallow, oven-safe baking dishes on a sturdy baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and chili flakes; cook, stirring until beginning to become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the peppers; cook stirring for 7 minutes. Add the zucchini and tomatoes; cook, stirring until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the basil leaves.
- In the meantime, bring a large shallow pan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus; cook until just tender. Drain well. Add to the pepper mixture.
- Divide the pepper mixture between four shallow dishes. Using a spoon make a well in the center. Break an egg and drop it into the center. Arrange the asparagus tips around the edges and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Arrange the dishes on a baking sheet. Bake until the egg is just set, or 18 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 410
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 31g
- Saturated Fat 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 13g
- Monounsaturated Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 185mg
- Sodium 550mg
- Potassium 1090mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 18g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 70%
- Vitamin C 270%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 20%