Warm Chickpea Salad with Spiced Mushrooms
- Yield: servings
- -- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- -- 10 oz. button mushrooms
- -- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- -- 1 red chile, seeded and chopped
- -- 14-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- -- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- -- juice of 1 lemon
- -- 3/4 cup Greek or thick plain yogurt
- -- a large handful of mint, freshly chopped
- -- 8 oz. baby spinach
- -- salt and black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook until softened. Reduce the heat, then add the garlic, chile, and chickpeas. Fry for 2 minutes, then add the cumin and half the lemon juice. Cook until the juices in the skillet evaporate, then set aside.
Put the yogurt in a bowl, then add the chopped mint and the remaining lemon juice and oil. Add salt and pepper and mix until blended. Divide the spinach between 4 plates, add the chickpea and mushroom mixture, then pour the yogurt dressing over the top and serve.
The Vegetarian Student Cookbook: Great Grub for the Hungry and the Broke. Ryland Peters & Small, www.rylandpeters.com. $16.95