Watercress Salad with Grilled Apples and Ricotta
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 apples (varieties such as Macoun, Winesap, and Honeycrisp are perfect, as they have a wonderful balance of sweet and sour and maintain their crisp texture when grilled), cut into quarters and cored
- Kosher salt
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1pound watercress
- 2teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1clove garlic, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- 2teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 2ounces ricotta salata
- Season the apples with a pinch of salt and toss them with a little of the olive oil to coat them evenly. Place the apples directly over the coals of a small fire flavored with apple wood and grill until they begin to caramelize and are just tender throughout, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the watercress with the vinegar, garlic, mustard, and remaining olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and toss to combine.
- Arrange the dressed greens on a large platter and top with the grilled apples. Crumble the ricotta over the salad and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Where There’s Smoke © 2013 by Barton Seaver, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.