White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- Yield: 7 servings
This veggie burger contains the superfood kale.
- 2 15oz cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2cup oat flour (can be made from 1/2 cup rolled oats finely ground in a food processor)
- 1/3cup bell pepper, diced
- 1cup onion, diced
- 3/4cup sweet potato, cooked and removed from skin
- 1cup kale, finely chopped
- 1/3cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten (substitute 1/2 cup warm water + 3 tablespoons ground flax for vegan version)
- 1teaspoon maple syrup
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 2teaspoons Sriracha
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 3/4cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
1. Pulse half the beans in a food processor until puréed but still slightly chunky.
2. In a large bowl, stir together puréed beans, the other half of whole beans, kale, cilantro, bell pepper, and onion.
3. Then add all the other ingredients except the panko breadcrumbs.
5. Stir everything until combined well.
6. Place panko breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and set aside.
7. Take handfuls of the bean mixture and form into separate burger size patties.
8. Place burgers, one at a time, into the bowl with breadcrumbs and coat outside of each patty thoroughly.
9. Bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 13 minutes on each side and then sauté them on the stove with olive oil for about one minute on each side.
*For a quick weeknight meal freeze these uncooked burgers. The night before you’re ready to eat them move to the fridge and the cook on each side for 16 minutes.
*You could also cook them only in the oven or only sauté them if you prefer an easier method.
Recipe courtesy of Sarah, a healthy foodie from Northern California who enjoys creating whole meals and staying active. She has been a vegetarian for eight years and recently started a blog, Making Thyme for Health, to document how easy and delicious it can be to eat your veggies!