"Fried" Green Tomatoes
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 3/8teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1large egg
- 1/2cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2cups cornbread crumbles
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2medium green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Combine the flour and 1⁄8 teaspoon of the salt in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the egg and buttermilk together in another shallow bowl until combined.
- Combine the Cornbread Crumbles, 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, and cayenne on a large plate or baking sheet.
- Lightly coat each tomato slice in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture. Dredge in the seasoned Cornbread Crumbles, pressing the crumbles on all sides of the tomato slice until coated. Transfer to the wire rack. Repeat with the additional slices. Liberally coat the tops of the slices with the cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Serve immediately.
Images reproduced by permission of Nelson Books from Whitney Miller’s New Southern Table by Whitney Miller. ©2016 by Justin Fox Burks. All rights reserved.