Whole-Wheat Pesto Scones
- Yield: 8 pieces
- 2 1/2cups whole-wheat flour
- 1tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2cup chilled, unsalted butter
- 3/4cup milk
- 2tablespoons pesto
- 1 egg yolk (save the white for topping the scones)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingers or a pastry blender incorporate butter into the dry ingredients until the butter coated in flour with pieces no bigger than a pea.
- In a separate bowl whisk together milk, pesto and egg yolk. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently fold together until a loose dough is formed. Pour dough onto a lightly floured surface and press into a rectangle no more than 2 inches thick. Cut the rectangle into quarters, then cut each quarter diagonally thought the center to form a triangle. Brush with egg white. And bake for 30 minutes or until brown. Let cool on a rack and serve with cream cheese or soft goat cheese and sliced vegetables.
Recipe by Sydney Oland.