Wild Rice, Kale & Pomegranate Salad
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 3/4cups mix of black, red, brown, and white rice
- 5 1/2ounces kale
- A handful of finely chopped dill
- 2 handfuls of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- A handful of finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/4cups pomegranate seeds
- 1/2cup walnuts, lightly crushed
- For the dressing
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 3tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1teaspoon superfine sugar
- 1teaspoon sumac
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice in a large pan of boiling water according to package instructions, starting with the variety that takes the longest and adding the rest at appropriate times so that they all cook perfectly. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside to drain.
- Meanwhile, cook the kale for 2 to 3 minutes in a large pan of boiling water. Drain and refresh under cold running water. When cool drain thoroughly and squeeze out the excess water with your hands.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Put the drained rice in a large mixing bowl and add the kale, herbs, chile, and half the pomegranate seeds and walnuts. Pour in three-quarters of the dressing and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Transfer the salad to a serving dish and pour over the remaining dressing. Top with the remaining pomegranate seeds and walnuts and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Goodness of Greens: 40 Incredible Nutrient-Packed Recipes © 2016 by Claire Rogers, Kyle Books