Wild Rice, Mint and Pomegranate Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2/3cup wild rice
- 2/3cup soft dried mango, peach or apricots, soaked in hot water for five minutes
- 1/2cup shelled pine nuts, pistachios or pumpkin seeds
- 2-- carrots, finely diced
- 3-- spring onions/scallions, roughly chopped
- 1large handful of fresh mint leaves
- 1small bunch of rocket/arugula or watercress
- 4tablespoons pomegranate molasses (or finely grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon)
- 4tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2cloves garlic, crushed
- 2/3cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- -- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the rice in the pressure cooker and add 3 cups cold water. Lock on the lid and bring to high pressure. Lower the heat slightly but maintain high pressure and cook under high pressure for 22 minutes. Cool down using the quick cool method. When cool, release and remove the lid, taking care of any steam that is expelled as you open the pressure cooker. Drain the rice and rinse under cold water. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the rice is cooking, soak the dried mango in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain and roughly chop. Toast the nuts until lightly golden in a dry frying pan, stirring all the while to prevent them from burning. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Tip the rice into a mixing bowl and add the chopped mango, nuts, carrots, spring onions/scallions, mint and rocket/arugula.
- Put the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste and pour over the salad. Toss to coat everything with the dressing.
- Tip onto a large serving dish and arrange rocket/arugula leaves around the edges. Scatter with the fresh pomegranate seeds and serve immediately.
The Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Laura Washburn. Ryland Peters & Small, $19.95.
Learn more about pomegranates from Relish Cooking Show Chef Chris Koetke.