Wilted Spinach Sesame Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
Sesame oil brings its smoky flavor to the dressing as crisp red onion and toasted almonds lend their quintessential crunch to round out this satisfying salad.
- 1/2-- red onion, outer peel removed
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon honey
- 1teaspoon salt
- 8cups spinach, stems removed
- 1/2cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 1tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 8-- hard-boiled eggs, thinly sliced (optional)
- Cut the onion into paper-thin slices about 2 inches long. Place the onion slices in a bowl of ice water and let them soak while preparing the rest of the dish.
- Place the canola oil and the sesame oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Mix the mustard, vinegar, honey and salt together and add the vinegar mixture to the pan. Whisk to combine and bring the sesame vinaigrette to a boil.
- Roughly chop the spinach into bite sized pieces. Place in a large serving bowl and pour the hot sesame vinaigrette over the spinach. Immediately toss the spinach to ensure all leaves are coated and slightly wilted.
- Serve equal portions of the wilted spinach onto each plate. Drain the onions and place them on top of the spinach. Sprinkle each plate with the almonds, sesame seeds and egg slices if using.
Recipe by Donna of Fab Frugal Food.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 137
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 697mg
- Potassium 288mg
- Carbohydrate 8g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 3g
- Protein 4g