Zesty Lemon Cranberry Muffin Tops
- Yield: 28 pieces
- 1/2cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 1/4cups organic sugar
- 1/2cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2teaspoons lemon zest
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1cup whole wheat flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup dried cranberries
- 1cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Warm the coconut milk in the microwave then stir in the flaxseed, set it to the side for a couple of minutes to let it gel a bit.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rest of the wet ingredients and sugar until well mixed. Add in the coconut milk/flaxseed mixture and stir again.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flours, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt together. Add the dry mix into the wet mix one cup at a time, until combined fully.
- Once the dough is formed, fold in the cranberries and walnuts. You will need two cookie sheets for baking, I poured roughly 1/2 tsp. of oil onto each one and spread it so that the cookies didn’t stick. You could also use parchment paper or a silicone sheet.
- Form relatively round, 2 Tbsp. cookie shapes 2″ apart on the baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes; when the timer has gone off, take the sheets out of the oven and let the cookies rest on them for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheets and place them on cooling racks until they’re cool enough to eat.
Jackie Sobon of the food blog Vegan Yack Attack, is passionate about creating innovative and tasty recipes that cater to the taste buds of everyone, vegan or not. On top of running her food blog, she also contributes to the Examiner, One Green Planet and the Vegan Voice. In her free time, you can find her dreaming up recipes while hiking, doing yoga, or cycling; talk about preemptive action!