Zucchini and Yellow Squash “Lasagna” with Fire-Roasted Tomatoes and Basil Pesto
- Yield: 6 servings
- Cook: 30-35 minutes
- cooking spray
- 3 medium yellow squash, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained (14-ounce cans)
- 15ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2cup prepared basil pesto, preferably a refrigerated variety
- 1tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Coat a stove-top grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
3. Working in batches, cook the yellow squash and zucchini slices on the hot pan until golden brown on both sides, seasoning the vegetables with salt and pepper as you go.
4. Arrange half of the yellow squash and zucchini slices in the bottom of the prepared pan, covering the surface (slightly overlap the vegetables as necessary).
5. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and pesto. Mix well to combine.
6. Spread half of the ricotta mixture over the vegetables.
7. Top with one can of the tomatoes. Top with the remaining yellow squash and zucchini slices, and then the remaining ricotta mixture. Soon the remaining tomatoes over top. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over top.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 more minutes, until the cheese is golden brown.