Zucchini Au Gratin
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1-- onion, coarsely chopped
- 2pounds zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 6 cups)
- 1 1/2cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1cup skim milk
- 1/2cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1cup reduced-fat shredded light Jarlsberg cheese (light Swiss cheese)
- Preheat oven 350F. Coat 10 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, melt butter, and cook onion over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring. Add zucchini, cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes; add tomatoes cooking another 5 minutes. Season to taste and add nutmeg.
- Stir in flour, and gradually add milk. Bring to boil, lower heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Transfer to prepared dish.
- In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and cheese, sprinkle on top zucchini mixture. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age (2010).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 138
- Fat 5g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 151mg
- Carbohydrate 15g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 11g