Zucchini and Tomato Gratin
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- Zucchini, sliced into rounds or quartered rounds
- Tomatoes, sliced into rounds or quartered rounds
- Onion, sliced and diced into small strips
- Mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- Parmesan cheese
- Working with whatever size pan you would like, arrange a layer of zucchini pieces on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the tomato pieces on top of the zucchini and then sprinkle some diced onion over the top.
- Sprinkle the onion layer with grated cheese.
- Repeat the layers once or more.
- Top the layered veggies with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake the veggies at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, checking the veggies until they are done. The parmesan cheese should be lightly browned. When pricked with a fork or knife, the zucchini should be al dente – tender yet with a bite.
Request courtesy of Kelsey, creator of Itsy Bitsy Foodies, an online resource for families looking for ways to spend more time together enjoying food and exploring the world beyond the children’s menu. Kelsey’s family feels strongly that getting kids involved in meal choices and cooking at an early age will help them make smarter eating and lifestyle choices and ideally help to reverse the fast food trend.